Space frame systems are highly hyper-static systems. Complex three-dimensional structural framework, capable of spanning and containing very large volumes, constructed using pyramidal, hexagonal, and other geometrical figures。 It has further advantages of behaving as a single integral unit, and can resist loads in any direction.
The main advantages of space frame are shown below
- Excellent aesthetic, availability of several colors, assuring compositions which can completely satisfy any architectural requirements.
- Unlimited possibilities in the construction's geometry, no restriction in creating any structural shape.
- Space frames have the smallest possible structural dead load, consequently lower transportation cost.
- Easy assembly, therefore the possibility of utilization of unskilled labour exists.
- Inhered rigidity, making the space frame ideal bearing structures for large free spans without intermediate supports.
- Excellent relation between dead load - live loads. The advantages mentioned above, enable space frames to cover a wide range of applications.